HOW MUCH SINGLE-USE PLASTIC DO YOU CONSUME?
CALCULATE YOUR ANUAL PLASTIC FOOTPRINT
WITH GRAVITY WAVE
DID YOU KNOW…
How long does it take for plastic waste to decompose?
It is estimated that only 5-10 % of the world’s plastic is recycled. More than 30 % of it ends up in a landfill, and around one third of it ends in the oceans. How embarrassing. We’ve even created a new continent, a mass of plastic waste the size of Europe.
So, how long does it take for plastic waste to decompose? Scientists estimate that plastic can take more than 500 years to degrade, but for specific items, this time can be shorter:
- plastic bag 10-1000 years
- grocery bag 10-20 years
- foam plastic cup – 50 years
- plastic disposable cup, plate – 400 years
- disposable diaper – 450 years
- plastic bottle – 450-500 years